Located on a 75-acre campus in Moon Township, about 12 miles west of Pittsburgh, the OLSH campus is the home of our educational community. The expansive campus offers a place for quiet reflection and discernment. Our campus consists of the main school building, the Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Chapel, and the Angela Activities Center.
Students take a stroll on the front lawn and enjoy the beautiful OLSH campus.
OLSH's statue of St. Francis, near the meadow, is a favorite spot for student reflection.
The main school building (left) sits adjacent to the OLSH Chapel (right).
Outdoor classes are popular feature in the fall and spring with both the OLSH students and teachers.
In December of 2001, the Felician Sisters began a total renovation of their 1932 provincial house, which includes Our Lady of the Sacred Heart High School. The school wing was completed in January 2003. Because the Sisters' Franciscan values include care for all creation and a desire to be responsible stewards of the resources given to them by God's loving providence, they determined to do the renovation of the building in an environmentally friendly manner. The Sisters decided the project should employ the principles of "green design".
The Green design refers to design and construction practices that significantly reduce or eliminate the negative impact of building on the environment and occupants in five broad areas:
- Sustainable site planning
- Safeguarding water and water efficiency
- Energy efficiency and renewable energy
- Conservation and reuse of materials and resources
- Indoor environmental quality
OLSH's main campus renovation was awarded a Gold LEED rating for its efforts.
Fifteen solar panels atop the OLSH roof help to heat water for the complex saving 284 mbtu of natural gas per year.
Seven acres of the campus have been returned to a natural meadow.